Saint Jose Maria Escriva
- He was born on the 9th of January 1902 at Barbastro, Spain.
- Ordained in Saragossa on 28 March 1925. By divine inspiration he founded Opus
Dei in Madrid on 2 October 1928, which opened a new way for the faithful to
sanctify themselves in the midst of the world through their work and fulfillment of their
personal, family and social duties. They become a leaven of intense Christian life in all
environments. On 14 February 1943, he founded the Priestly Society of the Holy
Cross, united to Opus Dei. Opus Dei received
the approval of the Holy See on 16 June 1950. Monsignor Jose Maria Escriva guided and
inspired Opus Dei through prayer and penance, and unconditional surrender
to God's will. By the time he yielded his soul to God, Opus Dei had
spread to five continents with over 60,000 members of 80 nationalities.
- Monsignor Escriva repeatedly offered his life for the Church and the Pope, and Our
Lord accepted in the room where Escriva worked. His body is accompanied by the constant
prayer and gratitude of his sons and daughters and countless others brought closer to God
through his example and teaching.
- He died on the 26th of June 1975; his body remains are at the Prelatic
Church of Our Lady of Peace at Viale Bruno Buozzi 75, Rome.
- He was beatified by Pope John Paul II on May 7, 1992.
- His cause for canonization was introduced in Rome on 19 February 1981. On 9 April
1990 Pope John Paul II declared that he lived the Christian virtues to a heroic degree,
and on 6 July 1991, decreed that a cure attributed to his intercession was miraculous.
- With the ecclesiastical approval of the Vicariate of Rome: Those who obtain favors
through the intercession of Saint Josemaria Escriva are asked to notify the Office of
Vice Postulation of Opus Dei in the United States, 330 Riverside Drive,
New York, NY 10025.
To The Church
Work of God Apostolate
Saint Jose Maria